The back yard had three small beds on the south side. I decided to consolidate. First I re-arranged the rocks to make one continuous wall, then I brought in some old horse manure, and last planted and added a layer of wood shavings mulch from the stables. Here’s the before and after:These last few days have been too hot to do much, but in the early cooler mornings I managed top lay down some hay mulch and move those bossy ferns. Here is the new fern patch: and here are some areas mulched with hay. It’s looking to be a dry summer so mulch is critical if I don’t want to stand around holding a watering hose.