Yesterday I finally planted the ten delphinium seedlings out in the “square” garden. I had to remove a bunch of phlox and echinacea to make room. “Remove” is a gentle word for a rather violent process, from the echinacea’s point of view–they get dug up and tossed over the side of the bank –I just have too many that self-seed everywhere, and I want some place for the delphinium. It was also a catastrophic process for the ants–several of the spots I picked to plant the seedlings were ant homes, and after digging the hole I saw pure pandemonium–thousands of ants, half of them searching for an enemy to bite and half of them carrying eggs. I felt kind of bad but hopefully most of them managed to rebuild somewhere.
newly planted delphinium
Even more destructive was what happened this morning in the dahlia grove. I planted the tubers too closely together, and they grew into a huge 6-foot-tall hedge, especially the red ones. I ended up removing three of them completely, and pruning the others, then re-staking. I followed advice I read about in a garden magazine and bought 1/2 inch rebar, in 5-foot lengths. (They came in 10-foot lengths, and the guys at the lumber yard kindly cut them in half for me–I bought 10 of them, so now I have 20 5-foot lengths of rebar for dahlia stakes. $3.88 per bar, around $40.00 total–not bad!) Here’s the pile of discarded dahlia:And here are some pictures of the newly pruned and staked dahlias:I wanted to get this done this morning because the weather was calling for rain today and tonight. We’ve had a dry week, and I know the dahlias will be glad of rain–but I also knew they’d likely fall or break from the inadequate staking I’d used. So I went out planning only to stake them, then realized that they were just too crammed in together.
Other garden pictures from this morning:
First, yet another photo of the daylily “Orange Tremor”. It’s so gorgeous, I can’t walk by it without taking a photo!
The glads are doing their thing, without benefit of proper–or any at all!–staking. My favorite is the pure white ones.
Reliable rudbeckia, glowing and bright no matter how dry it gets. They are also enthusiastic self-seeders. There are lots of them in the “sandy” garden, and I didn’t plant any of them there.Here is the sandy garden:
The front yard has fewer blooms now, but the phlox are still billowy. Here is a patch of white phlox, with digitalis, a few late red daylilies, and the ubiquitous echinacea:The front yard also has volunteer sunflowers and this tall yellow daisy-esque plant. I’ll have to do some research to figure out what it is.
Back to syllabi-writing!
(PS: added later: I think these are cutleaf coneflower, Rudbeckia Laciniata, a native plant.)